Monday 26 March 2007

Filling your bucket.....

Just back from Bootcamp - sorry Center Parcs. Usually a challenging three days with my two little "angels". But this time I managed to wangle 3 hours in the Spa. Greek herbal steam room, Japanese wet room ( with optional salted ice) , Finnish Sauna and plunge pool to name just a few of the delights on offer. But the one I enjoyed the most was the relaxation room with stone beds, a couple of scented candles and piped birdsong. Heaven. The added bonus was that a couple of good business ideas came into my mind.

I had forgotten what it is to relax and focus. The last time I properly meditated was at a Buddhist group I went to at Uni. And that wasn't the same as we chanted alot as well :)

Anyway, got me thinking about ENERGY. Its a subject I spend alot of time talking about with my clients. You may be smart, have some great things to say but if you can't deliver that message with energy and passion - then you might as well go home. My good friend and brilliant mentor Mike Pegg first introduced me to the concept of DRILLERS and FILLERS. Drillers are people who "drill" into your bucket and steal your energy. "Fillers" are people who GIVE you energy just be being around them - you look forward to seeing them and talking to them. I am lucky enough to be able to work with people who are mostly fillers and I have spent the last 7 years pretty much getting rid of the drillers. Mike gives some great tips on how to get started on this process and also continues the theme into his many books.

Another book I enjoyed is The Power of Full Engagement - helping people to manage energy, not time.

 

I'm trying to manage my energy by not staying up late every night writing my blog - but as Hugh McLeod is so fond of saying - blogs don't write themselves !